Here’s the latest on the developing situation. All times Eastern. Please refresh this page for updates.
9:37 a.m. No known cases in US federal prisons, officials say
There are currently no known cases of the novel coronavirus among inmates in U.S. federal prisons, officials say.
Federal Bureau of Prisons spokesperson Nancy Ayers said the department is following guidelines for COVID-19 from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the World Health Organization.
“There are no known cases of COVID-19 among Bureau of Prisons inmates at this time,” Ayers said in a statement Monday. “Out of an abundance of caution, the BOP provided guidance to health care professionals throughout the system and has a screening tool in place for use in the event an inmate or staff member is exposed or symptomatic. The BOP has an internal web-based system for reporting infectious diseases and outbreaks, allowing access to health care and correctional professionals system-wide.”
8:12 a.m. Passengers disembark Regal Princess cruise ship in Florida
Passengers began disembarking the Regal Princess early Monday morning after the cruise ship received clearance to dock in Florida’s Port Everglades.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had issued a “no-sail order” for the Regal Princess over the weekend while two crew members were tested for the novel coronavirus. Although neither showed any symptoms, there were concerns that the crew members could be carriers of COVID-19 because they had transferred over from the Grand Princess cruise ship in California, which has 21 confirmed cases.
The test results for the two crew members came back negative Sunday night, according to a statement from Princess Cruises, which operates both the Regal Princess and the Grand Princess.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of State on Sunday advised Americans against traveling by cruise ship, warning of an increased risk of coronavirus infection,
“U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship,” the department wrote in an advisory on its website.
7:01 a.m. South Korea sees drop in new cases
South Korea recorded just 248 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus on Monday, a significant drop in the past 24 hours.
So far, 7,382 people in the country have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the latest data from South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
South Korea has the highest national total of confirmed cases of anywhere outside China.
6:25 a.m. China appears to slowly return to normality as makeshift hospitals close, some schools reopen
China reported only 40 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus and 22 fatalities as of Sunday, a marked decrease from when the country was recording thousands of new infections just last month.
That brings the cumulative total to 80,735 confirmed cases and 3,119 deaths on the Chinese mainland. An additional 169 confirmed infections and four deaths have been reported in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, according to China’s National Health Commission.
All makeshift hospitals built to treat infected patients with mild symptoms in Wuhan, the epicenter, are expected to wrap up operations and close down Tuesday, according to state-owned China Central Television.
As of Sunday afternoon, 11 of the 14 hospitals have suspended operation with their patients either discharged or transferred to other hospitals.
Meanwhile, some schools have reopened as the country appeared to slowly return to normality after months of battling the epidemic.
5:44 a.m. Costa Fortuna cruise ship granted approval to dock in Singapore
Singapore port authorities told ABC News that they will allow the Costa Fortuna cruise ship to dock on Tuesday.
The vessel has still been turned away from ports in Malaysia and Thailand amid fears over the novel coronavirus outbreak. Italian cruise line Costa Crociere, which operates the ship, has said there were no suspected cases of COVID-19 on board.
5:12 a.m. Elementary school student tests positive in Indiana
An elementary school student in Indiana has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, officials said.
Test results came back late Sunday night confirming that a student at Hickory Elementary School in Avon, Indiana, had contracted COVID-19. Hickory Elementary School will be closed for two weeks, according to a press release from the school district, Avon Community School Corporation.
“It is our intent to provide our Hickory students with ongoing learning opportunities, which may include e-learning and other experiences,” the school district said.
The school district has also decided that to have an e-learning day for all schools in the district on Monday.
3:28 a.m. Grand Princess cruise ship to dock in California
Passengers are expected to begin disembarking the Grand Princess in California’s port of Oakland on Monday.
The cruise ship has been kept offshore for four days days, waiting in limbo as health officials tested dozens on board for the novel coronavirus after it was discovered that the vessel had previously carried two people who contracted COVID-19. At least 21 people on board have tested positive, officials said.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom said the disembarkation process will take place over multiple days and in order of priority. Those who are infected will disembark first and will be transported to local hospitals. Next, California residents will be taken to either the Travis Air Force Base or Marine Corps Air Station Miramar for a 14-day quarantine. Then all other passengers will disembark and go to either Lackland Air Force Base in Texas or Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Georgia for a 14-day quarantine, while foreigners will be repatriated on chartered flights, according to Newsom.
Crew members who aren’t sick will complete their 14-day quarantine on board the ship, which will leave the port as soon as the disembarkation process is complete, Newsom said.
The U.S. Coast Guard said it transported seven people from the California Department of Health and Human Services, along with supplies, to the Grand Princess on Sunday evening. The team will determine the medical status of all passengers and crew aboard ahead of the ship’s arrival.
To avoid delays, testing will be conducted when guests arrive at their onward destination, according to Princess Cruises, which operates the ship.
“All of us at Princess Cruises offer our sincere gratitude and appreciation to the federal, state and local authorities who are coordinating, collaborating and activating resources and personnel in support of this response to provide care and attend to the health and well-being of our guests and crew,” the cruise line’s president, Jan Swartz, said in a statement late Sunday night.
The Coast Guard said it also medically evacuated a critically ill passenger and his wife on Sunday morning. The passenger, a man in his early 60s, had a non-coronavirus-related medical emergency and required further treatment.
ABC News’ Luke Barr, Joohee Cho, Alexandra Faul, Will Gretsk, Dragana Jovanovic and Bonnie McClean contributed to this report.