(Photo by John Lamparski/Getty Images)
Topline: In a rare cross-network collaboration, competing late-night hosts Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel will host a two-hour special to raise awareness and funds to fight coronavirus that will simulcast on CBS VIAC , NBC and ABC.
- One World: Together at Home is co-sponsored by the World Health Organization and anti-poverty advocacy group Global Citizen, which produces an annual music festival in New York’s Central Park in September.
- In addition to raising awareness about social distancing measures that can slow the spread of the virus, the virtual special will encourage donations to WHO’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, which provides protective equipment and medical supplies for healthcare workers.
- Lady Gaga, who postponed the release of her new album Chromatica because of the pandemic, is also helping organize the benefit.
- The star-studded event will also feature performances from Lizzo, Keith Urban and Elton John.
- In addition to airing on the Big Three networks on April 18 at 8 p.m. EST, the special will be available on more than a dozen streaming platforms including Facebook, Twitch and YouTube.
Key background: The money raised from the event will fund the WHO’s efforts to provide crucial supplies like goggles, masks and COVID-19 tests to healthcare workers. The WHO has already provided 1.5 million tests to countries in Africa, the Middle East and the Americas, but many more will be needed to fight the pandemic.
What to watch for: Whether streaming or broadcast fares better on April 18. So far, streaming platforms have seen a major boost from people staying at home, while broadcast has not. The event could provide key insight into how audiences are consuming media in the new normal.